Process Information & More
Congratulations on taking the first step toward ordering beautiful stone countertops! In the following pages, you will find information that will help the process of purchasing your stone as simple as possible.
For accurate estimates the following information is required:
• Approximate dimensions of all pieces are needed. A drawing or copy of the plan,
highlighted with the areas to receive stone, noting any elevation changes, and
backsplashes, should be submitted.
• Name of stone and thickness of stone to be used.
• Edge detail should be selected for proper pricing and the drawing or plan should note
which edges are to be finished.
• Any special shaped pieces, including radius corners, should be noted for proper pricing.
• Sink/stove/cook tops should be noted. We need to know the type of cutout, under mount or self-rimming.
• Please note that if you purchase a sink from Stone Resources, dimensions on drawing
may vary from actual cutout.
• The removal of existing countertops or repair of existing cabinets is not included in
your quote. If removal of countertops is required, Stone Resources can refer a contractor or carpenter to you.
• Location of job is needed for installation estimating.
• Typical lead time for an estimate is 1 – 3 business days (varies).
To place your order, we will need the following:
• A deposit of 75% of the total job must be received to begin the process of ordering your stone.
Scheduling or production will not commence until deposit is received.
• Estimated date of installation is 2-4 weeks from notice that job is ready to be templated.
• If you choose to cancel after deposit is made, a minimum cancellation fee of 10% of the total contract
price will be deducted from your deposit and will be determined upon the amount of work that has been
performed on this project from the date the deposit was made.
•Balances not paid within 30 days will be subject to interest charges.
•Pick-up orders must be picked up within 2 days of scheduled date or a storage fee will be incurred.
Slab Selection and material information:
• The customer has the option of selecting slabs for their jobs from Stone Resources stock or from a slab
importer. Once a deposit is received for stock slabs, they will be tagged with the customer’s name. If
slabs are not in stock, we will obtain samples and pictures, if necessary, from our suppliers for the
customer to review. (Stone samples are representative of that product and show only the type of
material found within that particular range of stone. Variation is expected and we cannot guarantee to
exactly match any stone sample).
• Slab material will not be tagged or ordered until a 75% deposit is received for the job.
• Keep in mind, clients who choose limestone, marble, or honed granite for kitchen countertops need to
realize that these exquisite stones frequently scratch and stain much more easily than polished stone.
Thus these stones require additional care by the customer.
• No natural stone countertops are maintenance free and do need to be maintained properly.
Maintenance may require sealing the stone and using the recommended stone surface cleaner.
• PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT SOFTER MATERIALS SUCH AS MARBLE AND NATURAL
QUARTZITES ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR KITCHEN OR OUTDOOR USE AND CAN ETCH.
(etching is a natural process that is usually caused by acidic or alkaline liquids where the calcite on the
surface of the stone is actually eaten away and can make the stone appear dull). THIS IS NOT
COVERED BY WARRANTY.
Additional Stone Information:
With polished granite and marble, any or all of the following natural characteristics may be present:
• Areas, especially in marble, that have been filled with a matching color epoxy that may compromise the
integrity and strength of the materials.
• Variations in veining, color, and movement that may be present in any natural materials. Materials that
are referred to as “swirl” granites exhibit more of these types of natural occurrences.
• Fissures: small visible lines on the surface of the polished or honed slab which rarely indicate or affect
the structural integrity of the product.
• Beauty marks: natural mineral deposit concentrations that can be seen as intensified spots or lines of
color, lack of color, or areas with compromised polishing ability.
• Pitting: “pock marks” of varying size on the surface of a slab which are a result of the tightness of the
material grain and the material’s ability to accept a polished finish.
• The presence of any of these characteristics adds to the uniqueness of your material, and in the majority
of cases does not compromise the durability of your product. Due to the large volume of natural stone
we purchase from our suppliers, Stone Resources reserves the right to refuse any natural stone lot that
does not meet the highest quality standards, including shipments containing heavy pitting or markings,
faded coloration, or excessive cracking. We are committed to using only the best-valued products for
• You will be given a call the day before template and given an arrival window for the templater to arrive
and take appropriate measurements. Please make sure if there are other workers in your house that
day, the area to be templated is clear and easily accessible.
• Specific timeframes cannot be guaranteed. It is the responsibility of the home owner or decision maker
with decision making authority to be home at time of template to discuss design details and confirm
information. If a person with decision making authority cannot be home at time of template, you will be
rescheduled at Stone Resources convenience and this may also affect your install date.
• Existing countertops must be removed prior to templaters arrival. This serves two purposes. One is to
be able to properly measure the cabinets for tops to fit. The second is to make sure that the cabinets are
suitable to handle the weight of the stone and to make sure there are no other defects in the cabinets
that may prevent Stone Resources from installing.
• All items must be removed from area to be measured prior to arrival of templater.
• All cabinet work, which can affect our dimensions, must be complete and all cutout information must be
present on the jobsite or in our possession before we are called to measure.
• All cabinets must be installed, leveled and secured. Any alterations required on cabinets or substructure
must be completed before finalizing template or installation.
• Sinks, Faucets, and Stoves:
• All sinks, faucets, and stoves must be on site for the templater to make sure there will be no issues with
fit and to provide cutout dimensions.
• Please note that if you purchase a sink from Stone Resources, dimensions on drawing may vary from
• Some measurements need to be done in 2 steps, such as full height backsplashes or when the height of
a splash is between 2 given points, one of which is the granite that is not yet installed. The tops will need
to be installed first and then measurements can be taken for the next step which will be scheduled at a
• If you need to change your template date at least 24 hours notice must be given or a fee may be
incurred. If the templater arrives and determines that the area cannot be templated or measured due to
a lack of foreseeable circumstances, a minimum fee of $75 will be added to your invoice.
• Seams will be discussed at template, however, it is important to keep in mind that seam locations may
change or be added if necessary, depending on slab size. All joint placements (seams) are at the sole
discretion of Stone Resources.
• Any changes made after field measuring may not only change the price, but also cause an extended
delay in fabrication and installation.
• After field measurements are taken or templates are made, please schedule a time to lay out your
templates or measurements on your slabs with Stone Resources. If you choose to not layout, you give
Stone Resources the right to cut the material as they see fit. Jobs will be sent to fabrication only when all
information is received and verified. If information is missing at time of fabrication that is supposed to be
provided by you, the customer, your job may be rescheduled at the convenience of Stone Resources.
• The day before your tops are scheduled to be installed, you will be called with an approximate
timeframe for the arrival of the installers. Usually a large window is given due to the nature of the
installation process. Please make sure if there are other workers in your house that day that the area to
be installed is clear and easily accessible.
• Please make sure the installers have a clear path to the door. It is vital that if there is snow or ice, that it
be removed and salted before the arrival of the installation crew. If the path to the entrance is not
suitable for walking with materials and tools, installation may need to be rescheduled and a charge will
be added to your invoice.
• Stone Resources will inspect the structural integrity of your cabinets to determine their ability to support
the new materials. Some work may be necessary to make the cabinets structurally suitable and may not
be known at time of template. This work is not included in the scope of our contract and you will need to
make appropriate arrangements with a cabinet professional. Countertop installation cannot proceed until
repairs are completed.
• Seams will typically be ±1/16” and will be visible to the eye and touch. Every effort will be made to
ensure that the seam is placed in the best location for structural integrity of the countertop and to be
aesthetically pleasing. Due to the unique characteristics of stone, it is not possible to guarantee a match
in color or veining when seaming two pieces together.
• In some cases, sink and cook top cutouts and minor adjustments are completed after the countertops
are installed, requiring our installation team to cut, grind, or polish the product in your home. The
amount of dust that may result from this procedure varies; the work area as well as other areas of your
residence may become saturated with natural stone dust. Stone Resources will reasonably prepare the
work site to help minimize the amount of dust and we recommend that you cover or move any important
items that may be affected by dust.
• The installation process will require the use of epoxies, silicones, and sealers. The odors that result from
these substances may be offensive to some individuals. We recommend that individuals who are
sensitive to these types of fumes not be present during the completion of any work. Additionally, we
recommend opening doors and windows for ventilation.
• All standard countertops are treated with a non-toxic impregnator before or at the time of installation to
assist with long-term protection of the granite. It is your responsibility to reseal tops after that.
• Countertops will be leveled to adjoining tops; this may require the use of wood or plastic shims between
the supporting structure and tops.
• Once the installation is complete, countertops will require a mandatory setting time of 24 hours before
reconnecting utilities or installing any fixtures. Stone Resources will mount under-mount sinks and
dishwasher brackets when applicable and you are responsible for scheduling licensed professionals to
reconnect fixtures and utility connections. Stone resources is not responsible for setting or leveling
stoves or dishwashers, top-mount, or vessel sinks, as this is normally done by your plumber. We
recommend waiting 24 hours before preparing food on your countertops to ensure that the sealant is
fully absorbed and cures.
• To help ensure customer satisfaction, we ask that any installation work be inspected for quality and
suitability at time of install and signed off. By helping to review our workmanship in a timely fashion, you
will minimize any time needed to make additional adjustments and ensure your happiness with your
•Tile orders are non-refundable.
•Tile orders must be picked up within 2 days of arrival at Stone Resources or a storage fee will be
Care and Maintenance:
• Your natural stone surface will be sealed at time of install. This is done once by Stone Resources and is
the customer’s responsibility from thereon.
• It is recommended that natural stone be sealed at least once per year with an impregnating sealer. This
is to be done by the customer. Stone Resources can provide this service for you at a charge if you
• Cleaning should be done with a solution of hot water, a few drops of dish detergent and a soft sponge.
• Please note that some materials may not be recommended for certain installations. Stone Resources is
not responsible for any damage incurred to these materials after installation.
• More information regarding the care and maintenance of your natural stone can be found at WWW.Marble-Institute.Com
Keep in mind, if we are required to make an additional trip to the jobsite because of a for-seeable lack of preparedness there will be additional charges added to your invoice. To ensure that your project will run smoothly, please keep a job file with all documents and keep a line of communication open.
Stone Resources is more than willing to answer any questions you may have regarding any procedures that need to be followed. Please feel free to contact us!